SA Family Law Matter - Discovery & Timing of Financial Information?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cupcake

11 December 2014
Hi Everyone,

I have a family law court date for 16/2. I have requested the other party discover their financial situation. To date, they have not. What is a reasonable time before the actual court date that I could expect these? And any advice if they haven't discovered prior to court date?

Thank you

S

Sophea

I'm not sure about family court specifically, but in general documents should be exchanged 2 weeks before a court date, or in extenuating circumstances at least a few days before the date. A court will usually take into account the dates that documents have been filed and exchanged between the parties and whether or not there is a reasonable excuse for delay.

Cupcake

11 December 2014
Thanks Sophea.

I still haven't heard a thing, not even a responding affadavit from the other party. They received the court documents on 22 December 2014 and my letter requesting discovering was sent on 1.1.15.

What should I do? I think they are playing a tactical game and will respond at the very last minute so that I do not have a chance to respond to their respond affadavit if necessary.

Any advice? I'm not sure whether I should write the lawyer another letter requesting discovery. It's 2 weeks out from the court date and not a thing.