Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

SA Family Law Matter - Discovery & Timing of Financial Information?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Cupcake, 15 January 2015.

Tags:
  1. Cupcake

Cupcake Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

I have a family law court date for 16/2. I have requested the other party discover their financial situation. To date, they have not. What is a reasonable time before the actual court date that I could expect these? And any advice if they haven't discovered prior to court date?

Thank you

2. Sophea

Sophea Guest

I'm not sure about family court specifically, but in general documents should be exchanged 2 weeks before a court date, or in extenuating circumstances at least a few days before the date. A court will usually take into account the dates that documents have been filed and exchanged between the parties and whether or not there is a reasonable excuse for delay.

3. Cupcake

Cupcake Well-Known Member

Thanks Sophea.

I still haven't heard a thing, not even a responding affadavit from the other party. They received the court documents on 22 December 2014 and my letter requesting discovering was sent on 1.1.15.

What should I do? I think they are playing a tactical game and will respond at the very last minute so that I do not have a chance to respond to their respond affadavit if necessary.

Any advice? I'm not sure whether I should write the lawyer another letter requesting discovery. It's 2 weeks out from the court date and not a thing.