Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

SA No Responding Documents from Family Lawyer - Submit Another Affidavit?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Cupcake, 10 February 2015.

1. Cupcake

Cupcake Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    My court date is Monday. I still have not received a thing from the other party's family lawyer, no responding documents, discovery items or anything. I am thinking they are waiting until the last minute, so I don't get a chance to respond to anything they may say before the court date.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of tactic? I'm wondering should I submit another affidavit tomorrow with 2 important matters (arisen since my initiating application), just in case I don't get to respond to their documents by Monday.

Are there any rules surrounding there very very delayed response? I thought you had to respond to an initiating application with a certain time frame and certainly well before the court date. Any Family Law Act sections I can clarify this with?

Any opinions greatly appreciated.

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about family law specifically, but with general litigation - if affidavits are not filed and served on the within the requisite time frame before the hearing, usually about 2 days, then they will require leave from the judge to be allowed to file them on the day of the hearing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AllForHer

AllForHer Well-Known Member

Family law tends to be a bit more relaxed about when affidavits are filed, but it won't permit a party to be ambushed at the last minute. Is your hearing another interim hearing?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...