VIC Don't Want Kids Attending Safe School Coalition Program - Any Options?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Daisy Davis

30 August 2015
Hi There,
My kids go to government high schools. I don't want them to take part in the Safe School Coalition Program at all because I believe the content is too sexually inappropriate/explicit for school aged children. It's a controversial program being rolled out by the ALP over the next four years to all state high schools and some primary schools. I have a meeting with the school tomorrow, but all correspondence from them indicates they are going ahead with it.

I'd like my children to stay at this school, but this program is overstepping my parental role/rights. I was told by the Safe School organisers that my children will take part in the program with or without my consent because it's woven throughout the entire curriculum (there's no "opt out" option). You may've heard the recent media reports regarding this controversial program which is part of the curriculum at Burwood High School...the documentary Gayby Baby and the signing of the Gay Marriage mural (the government has now stepped in and told the program organisers that they cannot way into the gay marriage debate).

What are my rights/options here?

Many thanks for listening

hlly

12 August 2014
My legal advice: You have no legal recourse here. Your best option is simply to convince the school to do what it can.

My personal advice: The school knows what's best to teach your children. If you don't like it then you can homeschool them.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I am inclined to agree with the above.

Parents don't have any parental rights - what they have is parental responsibility, which means the expectation they will make decisions on their child's behalf and in their children's best interests.

People, however, have a right to an education, and rights supersede parental responsibility.