LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

QLD Child Support and Homeschool - Options under Family Law?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by JohnDadof3, 22 November 2015.

1. JohnDadof3

JohnDadof3 Active Member

My child support for 3 children is $1900 per month. I pick them up and drop them off from my ex-wife's unit every second weekend. I look after them every second weekend for 1 weekend.

I was told tonight that she is going to "homeschool" my 3 children. She said this means that they will not go to school and she will teach them. She has no experience as a teacher or formal study.

Can I stop this from happening at all? What are my options under Family Law? My kids are going to suffer severely from a demented and lazy woman.

If I can't do this, I know she is a very money driven women. Can I apply for a drop in my child support as there are no more school fees, books, uniforms and school shoes to pay for also reduction in petrol?

Can I please have some options?

2. sammy01

sammy01 Well-Known Member

So I'm assuming you have shared parental responsibility. So that means legally she has to get your agreement. But what if she doesn't? Well, then it is court...

But - In my experience as a teacher in NSW actually getting approval to homeschool is bloody hard work. I have a work mate who wanted to travel Australia with her kids for a year. Even with education qualifications she found it really hard.

3. JohnDadof3

JohnDadof3 Active Member

Hi Sammy01,

I appreciate your answer. Now I understand, I will fight for the welfare of my kids. Thank you so much.