NSW deportation / avo / character reference

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

mandy57

2 March 2016
The father of my daughter is currently in incarceration and due to be released November 12th 2017. Apparently he received notification that his visa was cancelled. He was given a 500pg document and 28 days to appeal. He is a New Zealand citizen, but has lived here since 1988. This is his 3rd time in jail - 2 occasions were due to alcohol-related assault and the other was due to breach of parole.

He has asked me for a letter to help his appeal. I do not want any involvement in this. We have an avo in place, due to expire in August. I already fear for the safety of myself and my family when he is released due to his violent, aggressive and abusive behaviour. It is nothing for him to threaten me, and has been violent in the past as well as causing damage to my property, especially when under the influence of drugs and alcohol.

He is not a positive role model for my daughter due to his lifestyle choices. Often fails to show up for visits due to being on a bender or has contact only when it suits her. She wants nothing to do with him. Refuses to take phone calls on the rare occasion he calls from jail and does not want to see him.

I feel that should i provide him with a letter supporting his appeal that should i require another avo in the future the police are going to look at me like a joke. i don't feel that this is a positive move for the future of my family. I know that when i inform him of not wanting to be involved he is going to become abusive.

Please help me

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
He has asked me for a letter to help his appeal.

If it was me I'd not be providing a letter. Stand firm and tell him he created his problem, he can get himself out of it.

mandy57

2 March 2016
Thank you rod :) i have said no, but am really worried about the consequences. He has a lot of connections that wouldn't hesitate in hurting me or my family. the number of threats that have been made over the years are quite intimidating. The first time he was incarcerated he sent someone round to threaten the mother of his son because she was in a new relationship. i'm just waiting for someone to rock up on my doorstep because I have said I can't write the letter