QLD Court Orders - Partially applicable if child >13yrs old chooses living arrangements?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

KMac83

25 June 2020
Hi, Curious to know.. If Court Orders were approved in 2020, but 13yr old child has since/recently made the decision to live 100% with chosen parent, are the Court Orders partially applicable at all?

For example...
Does the chosen parent have to communicate to the other regarding issues relating to the child if that child is never in their care? (If court orders state "must communicate regarding issues relating to the child" ).
Does the chosen parent have to notify the other of any medical emergencies, serious injuries or illness if that child is never in their care? (If court orders state "must notify the other as soon as possible of any medical emergencies, serious injury or illness involving the child")
Does either parent have to notify the other of change of contact details? (If court orders state "that if either parent changes their contact telephone number or address, they must notify the other within 48hours of that change")

But more curiously, now that the children are of age that they have their own communication tools, am I allowed to block telephone and email contact from the ex?

sammy01

27 September 2015
You have an obligation to comply with all of the orders. The child's 'decision' to not attend time with the other parent does not give you the right to remove the other parent entirely from the child's life. Indeed, if the other parent applies to court due to you contravening the orders, your decision to eliminate all contact with the other parent will not be a good look.

What you ought to be doing is actively encouraging the child to have a meaningful relationship with the other parent.

KMac83

25 June 2020
Perfect. Thanks for that. I don't intend to, I was just curious to know if the child's choice impacted the application of remaining orders.