Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

NSW Charges as Spent Convictions on Police Clearance?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by Paul56, 5 July 2016.

1. Paul56

Paul56 Active Member

In NSW, some forty-one years ago (1975), I was convicted of selling pot (I was 18). I was put away for 18 months with a non-parole of 12 months. I was released 12 months later. I also have a B&E 1 charge and car theft 2 charges. They were before the drugs charge.(1974)

I recently got a National Police Clearance and these were on it. Is it possible for me to have them as spent convictions? I am currently in West Australia. but these offences happened in NSW.

2. Victoria S

Victoria S Well-Known Member

Under NSW legislation there are exceptions to the spent conviction scheme: a conviction will not become spent after 10 years, if you were imprisoned for more than 6 months, it was a sexual offence, its a conviction against a company or it falls under another exception set out in regulations. Therefore your convictions for which you were imprisoned for more than 6 months are not eligible to be spent.

Also even if you have a valid spent conviction it may appear on a police check if you apply for jobs such as a judge, magistrate, justice of the peace, police officer, member of staff of Corrective Services NSW, teacher or a teachers aid - as all convictions must be disclosed for such jobs.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...