NSW Entitled to nothing!

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Melissa80

30 January 2020
On new years day this year a speeding, stolen car crashed in to our rental. We as new tenants did not have renters insurance. None of us were physically hurt, emotionally we're not so good. 1 minute before the car came smashing in, our 1 year-old was playing where a big chunk of concrete landed. We have trouble sleeping, scared it's gonna happen again. Every time I hear a car rev, even a little I'm awake with my heart racing. Our 11 year old is terrified too.
We're still living at the house. Lounge room and dining have been closed off so we can't access them but we can use the bedrooms, bathroom and kitchen. We've asked about a rental abatement but the real estate is just sidestepping so we're still paying full rent. We're not even sure when the repairs will be happening. The real estate have no communication with us at all. In fact, they didn't even know we were still living here until I mentioned it on the phone a couple of weeks ago.
No one has been charged with a crime for the car, which I think is ridiculous, they unknowingly endangered the life of 4 children and 2 adults and countless other people on the road that morning. We're entitled to nothing for our physiological damage because it wasn't intentional or towards us on a personal level.
We want to move but it took so long to get this house and affordability.