WA Unfair Treatment by Car Rental Company: Undisclosed Fee, Contract Evasion, and Coercive Tactics

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Papakula

22 May 2023
Description: I recently had an unpleasant encounter with a car rental company in Northern Suburb in Perth that involved a series of unfair practices, leaving me feeling frustrated and taken advantage of. The story unfolds as follows:

The issue began when the car rental company attempted to charge me an additional fee that was not specified in the rental agreement. This fee came as a surprise, as it was never mentioned or discussed during the initial agreement.

Seeking clarity, I reached out to the rental company, requesting the original copy of the contract. However, they exhibited evasive behavior, refusing to provide the document promptly. Instead, they sent me a set of generic, copy-and-paste clauses from an unrelated source, trying to pass them off as part of our agreement. This maneuver raised suspicions and made me question their honesty and transparency.

Furthermore, the rental company resorted to coercive tactics, pressuring me to immediately pay the undisclosed fee. They went so far as to threaten the cancellation of my car reservation if I didn't comply promptly. Feeling trapped and manipulated, I found myself with little room for negotiation or discussion.

Undeterred, I persisted in my efforts to obtain the original contract. After several days of back-and-forth communication, I finally managed to obtain the document. To my disappointment, it became apparent that the rental company had intentionally manipulated the terms in their favor, further confirming my doubts about their integrity.

Just when I thought the situation couldn't get any worse, the rental company abruptly canceled the contract. They demanded an immediate return of the car, leaving me with no time to dispute the unjustified fee or seek a fair resolution. This rushed approach left me feeling helpless and deprived of the opportunity to assert my rights as a customer.

Is it illegal for a business to engage in fraudulent practices and attempt to scam people out of their money?