VIC Suing child protection services

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

J337

4 June 2021
In 2015, I was finally able to submit a report and Timeline of Abuse to the Victorian Police. I had spent 30 years trying to do so, and continue the futile effort to this day. Multiple agencies and even politicians have been made aware of these offences in that time. The people I reported this to ignored my requests for help, failed to action it, referred me back to the same agencies, or simply mocked me, discouraged me with advice to remain silent, and (in some cases) made thinly veiled threats.

The physical and psychological child abuse (inflicted on multiple victims) continued, evolved and escalated in that time, including theft, fraud, elder abuse, suspicious deaths (one leading to very lucrative financial gain), and what now looks like it might be child sex abuse. All reported in that The offenders include: a former police officer; a former nurse; a ranking member of the local Catholic Church, who was also the son of a former local mayor. They were all friends with a former local State political rep, and a local Chief Prosecutor based in the town where the report and Timeline of Abuse had to be submitted to the police.

1) Can someone sue the DHHS and Victorian police for failing to allow a victim of child abuse to report offences for 30 years, and then refusing to consider evidence (some of which is easily verifiable via a Google search) or investigate that report when they have admitted (in writing) that nobody doubts everything in the report is true?

If the answer is yes,

2) Is it possible to do this when those named appears are protected and threats have been made against the victim, including to sue the victim for 'defamation', track the victim down, and agencies like IBAC have intimidated the victim into silence?

3) Is it possible to do this when the circumstances of that abuse have had a life altering (emotional, financial, and mental health) impact on the victim(s) and, as a result, they do not have the finances to fund any legal action, or even the means to run themselves into debt through a loan to do so?

4) And is it also possible to use such action to highlight the plight of victims when they are encouraged to come forward, then subjected to secondary abuse by the authorities, and prevented from exposing this because of their limited finances?

Reactions: Andrea Keogh