VIC Sole parental responsibility

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

FLJ

4 August 2021
Having read the policy on Mature Minors, I have a couple of questions someone may be able to answer... if unanimously agreed by various parties that child is to be considered a mature minor for the purposes of decision making, does this veto the court order in place which stipulates the child attends school of the fathers choosing? I understand the school the child would like to enrol in would consult with the Dept of Ed legal on the matter, but just wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience with the mechanics of it?
Thank you.

Immismum

11 May 2020
I honestly think you need to go and talk to both your daughters current school and proposed new school. They may be prepared to enrol her regardless of what is in the court orders.
If your ex want to take you to court for contravention it will take quite a while to get there and she will be well and truly settled by the time it gets to court.
Also remember that your daughter can vote with her feet, and if she threatens to drop out altogether then they will probably move heaven and earth to keep her in school.

FLJ

4 August 2021
Yes, father is opposed, because 'it's not what is in the orders'.
I've spoken with current school. I've asked for their position around the Mature Minor policy, and waiting on a response. I figured as much re delay in bringing a contravention. Child has not spent any time with nor had any contact or financial support from father for 16 months.

sammy01

27 September 2015
i would just do it on the quiet.... Maybe it will work. Maybe it won't. BUT if it works dad will have to apply to court and it really won't be worth his while...