VIC Sole parental responsibility

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

FLJ

4 August 2021
Hi everyone, I have a rather complex and long standing parenting matter.
Long story short...court order made (against wishes of child) to live with father. Acrimonious and difficult relationship between father and daughter exaccerbated, episode of physical abuse. Child left, refused to see father. Child has not had any contact with father since and does not want anything to do with him. I don't want to post too much publicly, as it is an easily identifiable case.
I am looking to seek sole parental responsibility. Would these be grounds to do so?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Look, with that amount of info, and obviously only getting one side of the story, the answer is defintely, maybe...
Look, sole parental responsibility isn't that big a deal. Spend your tie getting court orders around where the kid spends their time

FLJ

4 August 2021
Look, with that amount of info, and obviously only getting one side of the story, the answer is defintely, maybe...
Look, sole parental responsibility isn't that big a deal. Spend your tie getting court orders around where the kid spends their time
Child is already in my care 100%. Other parent still legally has parental responsibility. Child is 16.

Immismum

11 May 2020
Is the other parent having legal responsibility actually affecting you day to day? By 16 a child can make their own medical decision, and their own decisions about work etc. A child can probably enrol themselves into school if that is an issue.
Is there anything you actually need parental responsibility for?
if there isn’t anything you are prevented from doing, then I would let sleeping dogs lie

FLJ

4 August 2021
The problem is largely around changing schools, there's a court order in place around where child is supposed to live and attend school. It is not close to where child lives with me and is causing a lot of problems. I don't think I can make a decision without other parent consenting?

FLJ

4 August 2021
Thank you for the link, that is very helpful. No, there is no FVIO. There was an interim one, and the final one made was that there was to be no family violence committed. As was pointed out to me, whilst child was in my care, there was no threat or danger, essentially no need to do anything. Was just putting up with the schooling issue as the thought of navigating the legal system with regards to changing the order is excruciatingly daunting.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Are you in the court process atm? if yes, wait, ask judge. If not, change schools. Don't mention the court orders.

FLJ

4 August 2021
No, court orders were made 2 years ago. No, I cannot do that, given other parent is opposed to school change and would alert new school to the fact there is an order in place.