NSW Rights of security guards outside of licensed premises

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jaywoo220

11 November 2019
A solicitor took it on at short notice and absolutely smashed them.

I am now wondering whether I would have a false imprisonment claim against the security or the licensed premises.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Hey Jaywoo. Calm down. Nope not trolling you. Just some advice.

Look, I reckon the false imprisonment is going no where. Why? well you left a licenced premises you had a bottle of grog? Does that give the bouncer reason to suspect you of theft? Yes. So reasonable grounds? Yep. Incorrect. But as we've noted on another thread, hindsight is a wonderful thing...

Just outa interest? how old are you?

Regardless. What do you hope to achieve outa this? I'm guessing this is a whole separate issue to the other debacle in your life?
Some genuine heart felt sincere advice. Lawyers, cops, courts best avoided.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Same with doctors. Don't want to use them, but nice to have around in case you do.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Nope Rod. Not same as doctors. Doctors can cure your ailments. Lawyers, cops and courts cure nothing.

Jaywoo220

11 November 2019
Sammy01 you are not a solicitor.

They had no grounds to touch me and I spent 10 days in Parklea jail for no reason.

sammy01

27 September 2015
"Sammy01 you are not a solicitor."
Nope I'm a legal studies teacher, so I've studied a few law courses at universtity.

You are not a solicitor... but you've done a really bad job of pretending to be one and look where that has got you.

Nope, not a troll just a bloke with a bit of spare time and wasting that on trying to help you see the bleeding obvious.

Jaywoo220

11 November 2019
1.Yeah and it does not make you a solicitor.

2. Yep, defending myself because I had no one too. Police officers can charge you with anything if they want to at their discretion.

3. Wasting your time on someone who does not want your advice and making disparaging comments about them.

sammy01

27 September 2015
false inprisonment against the security guard? Waste of time.
Why? well that security guard isn't exactly rich. So what about his employer? maybe. But to be fair, the security guard did have grounds to suspect you of theft. You walked out of a licenced premises with a bottle of alcohol.
But the security guard didn't lock you up for 10 days. The cops did. Cops can detain for up to 12 hours.
Arrested in NSW | What Are My Rights After An Arrest?

Jaywoo220

11 November 2019
The owner of the pub is the largest in Australia.

The owner of the security firm is the largest in Australia.

So every person who walks out of the pub with a purchased bottle of alcohol has the right to be crash tackled by secuity? I dont think so.

Do you work as a security guard lol?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Mate you did 10 days in Parklea and you're worried about the time frame between the security guard crash tackling you and the cops coming to arrest you? What 20 min?

So you wanna take legal action against a company or two that are worth squillions of $$$. Good luck with that.

But if you were detained for 10 days by the cops that might be an avenue for you to seek redress. Why were you detained for 10 days?

And no - everybody that walks out of a pub with purchased grog doesn't have the right to be crash tackled. I wasn't there. I have no idea why the security guard took that action.