Caught Shoplifting - No Charges - Can the store do anything else?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

DoReMi

11 July 2019
Hi All. My query relates to being caught shoplifting at Coles recently, value totalling about $60.00 AUD (I'm over 18 years old so know the youth law doesn't apply to me).

A regular staff member at checkout asked to check my bag just AFTER I paid for a few items using my bank card. I agreed to let her check my bag and she asked me whether I had a receipt for what I had in my bag - I said no and she called over a senior staff member who asked to check my bag and took everything I had out of my bag. A few details are vague as I was in shock and didn't really know what to say....

The senior staff member said the security guard saw me put food items into my shopping bag on camera which were not paid for. I did not admit guilt but was very compliant and approachable during this event.
No Police were called, No statement was signed, No ID was asked for, No security guard was present and I wasn't taken into the 'back room' either - the items were recovered and I left the premises as normal. I had not left the Coles store or shopping centre premises when the search and question took place.

The senior staff member simply said that if I had any questions to contact Security but obviously this has left me somewhat confused and worried. Can I be charged further using CCTV footage by the security staff after the fact (in NSW)? Also, as I used my bank card to pay for some items can they recover my personal information for further investigation?

On further reading the only information I found was on the POLICE NSW website saying that you cannot be arrested 'hours or days later' from shoplifting. Law Access NSW also had no advice to offer as I haven't been charged with anything (yet?).

Please help! Any answers or resources would be appreciated.

Blw

9 January 2020
Interested to know if you have since been charged or investigated further?

Dave2024

20 December 2023
Why let her look if you knew it was there?

Did you leave the store? In vic they wait till your out the store and pounce on you on premises on way out of say you had moments to remember you had unpaid items and I always used to remember in this situation but got to car and went back few times could of been done but it was honest mistake always wondered if I’d be charged one day.

So many times at Bunnings I’d put things in my pockets cause hands full get out the store and have to go back and pay no one chasing me just honest mistake. I’d start thinking about what I was building and have I got everything and remember my pockets are full of bibs and bobs I couldn’t carry…..