SA Reporting Fraud Marriage to Immigration - Will She Go to Jail?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Clancy

6 April 2016
Rather, knowingly being false in the first place, and getting found out.
Onus would be on the person to show that to be the case.
That can be hard enough even when it's true.

That's a given, and in law the truth is often not enough, you also need good strategy, strategy that includes an understanding of the system. Truth, plus good strategy

vuong6779

19 June 2018
Thank you for all your replies. I take her to the police the other day and the police officer said if we reported as fraud the worse case scenario is that she might get deported as well.

I’m making arrangements to see all the lawyer I can find so she won’t be deported.

Jail time doesn’t sound so bad now

She is around 19 when she sign all the document. Heck they even have a small wedding and picture for the proof so I think she might have know that all the document and evidence that she sign and provided is all fake. And she can get in quite a bit of trouble for that.

She lived in Australia most her life. No family elsewhere. So deported is no different than death sentence to her.

If her staying here is not guaranteed I think i’ll just have to suck it up and i’ll try to support her as much as I could.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Don't take the word of low ranked police.
About anything. Ever.

And do not let her enter a police station without at least one good session with a lawyer first.