ACT Recourse for Mentally Ill Adult Being Subjected to Abuse?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now


20 November 2014
My grandson, 24 years old diagnosed with schizophrenia and psychosis recently attempted suicide. It is documented that the cause was because he was told he is possessed by the devil. He is now out of hospital and living with his mother, who is taking him to meetings with the same person who caused the suicide attempt. Is there any legal recourse under Australian Law?


Amanda E

Well-Known Member
9 April 2014
Hi @Seeking,
Have you discussed this issue with his mother, especially since she's taking him to the meetings?
Did the abuse happen while he was at the hospital? If so, the hospital may have breached their duty of care.
What is the relationship to the person who abused him? (eg, are they a staff member at a hospital?)

Also have a look at the ACT Government Health Department ‘Support groups & counselling’ page
that has contact information for Canberra Schizophrenia Fellowship Inc and Headspace ACT, which may be able to provide you with practical support.

Sarah J

Well-Known Member
16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Seeking,

Does the mother know about this? If not, perhaps talk with the mother and tell her what is going on (i.e. she's making her son see the person who made x, y comments about your son).

Where are the meetings held? If the mother/son still wishes to attend the meetings, could they ask for another session?

Is the person who made the comments a doctor or nurse or someone employed by the hospital or agency who runs the meetings?