NSW Legal Recourse for Mental Health Issues Caused by Domestic Violence?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
21 July 2015
Hi All,

I'm 33 and after experiencing some PTSD symptoms have just been diagnosed by community mental health with complex trauma or C-PTSD due to childhood abuse.

I witnessed domestic violence early in my life by my father and my mother neglected me through my childhood and adolescence. As far as I can ascertain under NSW law her neglect constitutes child abuse in the following ways.

1. Failing to provide medical care when I was sick; for example I have had constant migraines since I was a small child which I have since learned is a somatic manifestation of PTSD in children.

2. Failing to provide emotional support; I grew up in housing commission and although I was persistently beaten by gangs I was always told it was not my mothers problem.

3. Emotional abuse; telling me that she wanted an abortion, that all men are bastards and I was a bastard just like my father.

4. Not taking any interest in my education

5. Encouraging anti-social behaviour such as drug and alcohol use and petty crime.

Her neglect has caused me significant psychological injury and greatly impacted my quality of life, apart from the PTSD symptoms, I nearly died of a drug overdose when I was young, have spent some time homeless, have been in many dysfunctional abusive relationships with women and nearly committed suicide at the beginning of this year due to the severity of the flashbacks. The doctors also say that the somatic ailments like high blood pressure and increased heart rate from constant psychological stress are putting me in the risk category for heart attack and stroke.

To date she will not accept responsibility or pay for treatment such as EMDR or psychotherapy which I cannot afford due to living below the poverty line. My mother has lots of money including a 100k+ salary, a 1M property and could easily afford to throw me a few grand for some psychotherapy so maybe I could stop the flashbacks and move on with my life.

Do I have any legal recourse?

Ivy

10 February 2015
Hi there,

Getting some kind of compensation from your mum is likely to come down to having a good solicitor negotiating on your behalf. So I suggest you contact a solicitor who can go through your different options which may include a civil case (statute of limitations may present an issue) or trying to get victims of crime compensation.

Reactions: Cyanide Cordial