Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Possible to Apply for De Facto Visa for My Partner?

Discussion in 'Immigration Law Forum' started by hemalien, 18 April 2016.

  1. hemalien

    hemalien Member

    18 April 2016
    Likes Received:
    Hi there,

    I have a permanent residency visa whereas my partner (de facto) is living abroad with his family (married with kids). My partner and I have been in a relationship for few years already and have intentions to live together in Australia.

    For now, due to his job and absence of visa he cannot join me, though we never lived together but we are in solid relationship and I have evidence like money transferred to my account, vacations together, covering my education, paying my house loan, etc.

    I would like to understand if it would be possible for me to apply for a de facto visa for my partner without pushing him for formal divorce? I absolutely do not want his family to be stranded yet I would like to live with him properly here.

    Please guide me.

  2. Sophea

    Sophea Guest

    Hi hemalien,

    As a permanent resident, you can sponsor someone for a prospective marriage visa. However, you must intend to marry within 9 months of your partner coming to live in Australia. You can read about this and other requirements here: Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300)

Share This Page