VIC Registration of Relationship on Student Visa?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Miriam

13 September 2017
Hi there,

I have been on a student visa since Feb 2015. Before I was a student in Australia, I had been on a working holiday visa where I met my partner. We have been in a de facto relationship since December 2013.

We are now applying for the partner visa and to strengthen our application have applied to register our relationship. Someone has now told me that if the date on the registration is before the date I applied for my student visa and I did not list my de facto relationship as a reason on my student, I might get into some trouble.

I cannot remember if I have even been asked anything about a relationship in my student visa application, let alone what my answer would have been.

Should I withdraw my application to register my relationship and change the date when we entered into a de facto relationship until after I had returned to Australia on my student visa?

Thank you!!

Clancy

6 April 2016
Well all i know is that under Australian law, a de facto relationship can only be recognized as such if you have been in a relationship living together, same residential address for 2 years.

If my math is correct, the time period between your working holiday visa relationship starting and your student visa application is less than two years - you cannot declare a de facto relationship that is not yet a de facto relationship! So you should be safe unless the rules are somehow different for overseas residents?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Take yourself to a lawyer who is also a Registered Migration Agent.