LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

WA Application for De Facto Spouse Visa 'Same Sex Couple'

Discussion in 'Immigration Law Forum' started by Chloie, 25 May 2015.

1. Chloie

Chloie Active Member

I am currently in a de facto relationship, we have been living together in a de facto relationship for 8 months. I am on a single parent pension from Centrelink. We want to apply for a partner visa in 4 months but is me being on a pension going to affect our application?

Thanks - Any other help for things that would be good for our application would also be greatly appreciated.

2. Mitchell Kelly

Mitchell Kelly Well-Known Member

If you are in a de facto relationship, then you are not single. Obviously, the single parent pension will not apply to you. DIBP information can be shared with other government departments so you would be advised to disclose your full relationship history to the Department of Human Services, which may result in you having to pay back payments you have received that you were not entitled to.

3. Mitchell Kelly

4. Chloie

Chloie Active Member

5. Mitchell Kelly

Providing for your partner financially does form part of the criteria for sponsoring a partner. As long as you can demonstrate you have enough funds to support each other for daily living expenses, receiving a pension won't automatically rule out the grant of a partner visa.

6. Chloie

Chloie Active Member

Thank you