VIC Playing music/radio in automotive workshop

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Vandravius

16 October 2022
Hi,
I work in the automotive industry in a service/repair workshop. It's already a high-noise environment where hearing protection is required for the majority of tasks, but I have an ongoing issue with radios and music being played throughout the workshop.
The issue is a combination of problems:
  1. The high volume of the radios being used
  2. The instances of multiple radios overlapping with different music at the same time, making it hard to concentrate on tasks
  3. The frequent use of playlists that employ very limited genres or the same handful of songs on repeat, which heavily impacts my mental health
  4. The impact additional noise has on diagnosing automotive problems (such as listening for air leaks or engine knocking), as well as the impact on verbal communication
  5. The impact on safety, caused by reduced awareness of sounds in the surrounding area
I am not aware of any company policy against the use of personal radios, and the general attitude is that if a co-worker brings in their own radio nobody else is allowed to change it. Asking for a genre change or to lower the volume is usually met with the volume being raised even further, to the extent that no form of hearing protection will block it out without also making you unable to hear warning sirens or reverse beepers etc.

What I am looking for:
  1. Rules/laws that might restrict the volume of music being played, or prevent any music being played in a workshop environment for safety reasons
  2. Rules/laws that prevent multiple different radio stations/playlists being played simultaneously
  3. Rules/laws that enforce a need for consent or shared control over personal radios being used (such as requiring all staff to agree to what station, or what genres of music to play)
  4. Legally acceptable alternate options for listening to music in a workshop environment, such as using bone-conduction headphones (which don't cover your ears at all)
Thanks for your time!

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Have the business owner prepare a policy outlining how music is to be played.