QLD Merchant ship incident and compensation

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
12 May 2017
I had an incident in2005 where I was sick on merchant ship. The company would not let me leave the ship to get medical attention. This resulted was 3 open heart surgeries. I was cut off wages for a year. I was pushed by my lawyers to take $60,000 for compensation. That amount barely covered my lost time at work. Is it too late now to get a fair deal? I did sign a form saying I agreed to those terms. My mind at that time had still not recovered from the surgeries. I was bullied by the lawyers to accept oriwould get nothing. Just wondering ifistill had a case to argue. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Nicolas,
It sounds like the lawyers influenced you to settle for 60,000, but unless they forced your hand to sign I feel the courts wouldn't see it as bullied. You can always seek legal advice from a lawyer but I don't think you will have any recourse. Basically you sought and received compensation and now a number of years later you want more compensation. I don't like your chances. That wasn't meant to seem harsh but its likely how the court would view it.