NSW Member of Not for Profit Community Group - Any Recourse?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
22 September 2014
I am a member of a registered not for profit community organisation in NSW. The constitution of this association provides for members to have access to minutes, correspondence, and other documents and information. I have requested access to these documents and information formally from them but the committee has denied my request.

I suspect that they are not telling members the whole truth about their activities and would like to view their documentation to ascertain whether this is the case or not. I do not suspect that there is anything illegal in the activities that they are undertaking but more a case of misleading their members by not telling them the truth or the whole truth, while regularly maintaining that they are open and transparent.

What course of action could I take and where can I make a complaint, to get access to this information?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Reactions: disappointed member
22 September 2014
Yes I believe it is Tim. Thanks very much. That's a great help.

If there are provisions in the associations own constitution that differ from this act, could they be compelled to abide by the constitution over the act? Under what authority? Who can I refer the matter to?

If they choose not to abide their Constitution (or the act) at all, what action can be taken?

The reason I ask is that their constitution specifically states that correspondence shall be made available for viewing by members. I can't find that in the act. I think that the information that I am seeking will be found in correspondence rather than minutes or financials. So I would like to look at that.

Thanks for your help.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Reactions: disappointed member