NSW Meditation Group - Mental Health Ethics?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MXM

12 May 2015
I have a mental health ethics question related to someone I'm in a meditation group with. I suspect that she's mentally ill and have questioned the teacher as to why she's allowed to get away with harming others due to her mental illness. His replies have never been satisfactory, so I've decided to seek advice from registered psychiatrists and psychologists, to see if we are indeed dealing with a confirmed mental illness and moreover to see if this behavioural pattern is being ignored by the teacher. My evidence would be emails between me and this person as well as my own testimony of events not written down in emails. However everything would be anonymous - no one's name would be mentioned and the emails would all be 'de-named'.

Most of the psychiatrists and psychologists I've sent inquiries to won't confirm a diagnosis with such evidence (without meeting the person in question) but will agree to provide some feedback and an approximate assessment.

The meditation teacher has stated explicitly that he doesn't want me to go through this process and considers it a breach of confidentiality, despite my evidence being entirely anonymous. He considers that my motivation is to harm the other person, whereas I consider it entirely my right to investigate a pattern of behaviour that's been harmful to me in several instances, as well as harmful to others.

But I'm wondering - are there any ethical or legal breaches on my part here?

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Michelle,

Careful as there may be a potential defamation suit if your claims turn out to be false and end up harming the reputation of this person.

How exactly is this person harming others? Perhaps you could just try staying away from this person in your group?