QLD Suggesting Mental Health Assessment to Magistrate?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
20 June 2017
I have issued a third breach on my ex which has been adjourned to next week. He needs mental help not jail. He is convinced and he will go to jail with a criminal record, and I said I would ask the magistrate to consider a psychiatric assessment but he said they would frown on that. They don't like being told what I think they should do. Am I able to suggest such things?

Could a solicitor put a case forward for him on grounds of mental health illness and would this lessen a charge? He has threatened to kill me various ways but he is not a rational person with a history of drug abuse and mental illness in the family.

nat 2015

8 February 2017
Can I ask, I have reported breaches in the past and I never hear back from the police - is that normal?

I feel like they don't take it seriously.

20 June 2017
I had the constable first breach and he took it seriously. Second breach I had a young officer and he did nothing with it even after repeated phone calls. Said he tried to find him and couldn't. Then I finally made the third breach 9 months later with the same constable that did the first one. He actioned both the second and third together within 3 months.

Can I ask, I have reported breaches in the past and I never hear back from the police - is that normal?

I feel like they don't take it seriously.
had a

Gorodetsky

21 February 2016
Hi donrwanttobehere, nat2015,
Yeah, brush offs are pretty common.

Queensland police 'soliciting' victims to withdraw complaints in bid to cut crime rate, report finds - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Nat2015, if the cop you've got does nothing, ask to speak to the officer in charge of the station.

Even then, your chances aren't great.

Dontwanttobehere, if your ex has a solicitor, the Solicitor ought have the best idea of how to best present your ex's situation. If you are given the opportunity to tell them magistrate your opinion, then go ahead....you may not even be given the opportunity.

Regards
Gorodetsky