SA Is a prisoner able to apply for early release of superannuation on grounds of hardship that his wife and 2 children are experiencing?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

xshellionx

19 March 2020
Hello,
I am asking on behalf of my friends.
Her husband is currently incarcerated in an SA correctional facility and is 21 months in to a 38 month sentence.
His wife and two children aged 4 years and 6 years are financially struggling with the main concern being keeping on top of mortgage repayments for their home which is in both of their names. She receives government payments for her two children, there is no other source of income.
My question is this -
Would anyone know if it is possible for a prisoner, while in prsion, to apply for early release of superannuation on hardship grounds to support their family while they are not able to provide any financial support?
Please know that this is a question both husband and wife are asking and everything will only be done with one another's complete knowledge and with both agreeing.
If I have overlooked any information which may assist with more complete answers please let me know.
Thank you in advance

Smiley

1 April 2015
Hi,

Unfortunately not. There are only a limited set of circumstance under which super can be accessed early and the situation described is not one of them.

Here is a link to the grounds on which super can be accessed early. Best of luck with your friend.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Short and simple answer - no.