VIC I bought a car with a false signature

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

imaximis

17 January 2023
Hi,

Today a police investigator called me and asked me to explain how I acquired a car.

It seems that the car was the property of a company. There are 2 partners in the company. The person (person A) who sold it to me and another one (person B). I only spoke with person A. The document for the transfer registration that I was provided was signed by the person B, but I never saw the partner B.

Now there is an investigation on my car, it seems the partner B claims he never sold the car, and the person who sold it to me is out of the country, and cannot be located.

I have the car for 8 months, registered to VicRoads at my name, no problem.

My question is, if the case says that person A could not sell the car (I don't know if he forged the signature) can I loose the car without compensation?

Should I sell the car immediately?

Thanks

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If you have proof of purchase then you should be at little risk as long as you paid fair market value.

Document your discussions with person A as much as possible. Keep all texts and emails.

It might be person A has done the wrong thing however if you have no knowledge of that then you will be in the clear as you can rely on person A being a director with the required authority.

Selling the car now doesn't stop a claim being made against you.