VIC Incident with cyclist

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Will.J

7 March 2018
The incident took place at the T intersection between A avenue and B road, at approximately 18:30 p.m, Today. My wife was driving our car with a baby inside, from Ridgeway Avenue approaching the intersection. I was not in the car, I was following her at the back riding my scooter. She was signalling to turn right towards B road and the front of the car crossed the intersection line marginally on the B road

While waiting for the traffic to clear, a cyclist, coming from B road aggressively approached the car, he hit the hood of the car repeatedly at the driver side and swore loudly "Get f**k off the road". Instinctively, I rode to his side and told him "You don't need to hit the car, that is my car and my wife inside and there is plenty space that you can pass through". He replied, "she is f***ing blocking the road" and after exchanging few words he hit me on my helmet which caused me to lose balanced (I was still on my scooter while talking to him) and toppled over him on the pedestrian sidewalk. Both our bike and scooter were lying near the sidewalk. While he was on the sidewalk and tried to get up, I approached him and punched his face. Afterwards, there were few arguments and he walked to the car, took note of the car registration number, said " You are f****d" and cycled away.

There were two elderly ladies who seemed to witness the incident. One of the ladies said, "No, you can't hit him although he hit your car". She took pictures of my scooter using her mobile. We left the scene after I picked up my fallen scooter.

1. What can I expect next if the cyclist decided to file for assault?
  2. Should I go to the police station and file an incident report describing the events above?
  3. If the police decided to charge me with assault? What should I do?
  4. Who and Where can I get legal help?

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi,
Before you hit him, did he give any indication of being aggressive? you can say you were defending yourself, if this is the case, but going to hit him without any reason, i think you may face some trouble,
one way is give a call to a police station, they may give you some directions on how to deal with this.
You can see legal aid to get advice on how to proceed. You need to be very specific when talking to anyone, as their answer will depend on what you say.
As he took the info, you don't know if he will actually go to police or just a show off.
Just reading your post again, you say he hit you first and you lost your balance then this was not a minor hit, it would have been hard, then he attacked you first and that is a reason that you were defending yourself. Did you scooter get scratched? you can put a claim with the insurance but you need the details of the cyclist, which I think you did not get (not worth putting a claim), did you take a picture of the cyclist? I think he did more damage to you both than what you did to him (you fell, your scooter and your wife's car - I think him taking the rego is a show off, he is in more trouble but you need to be careful).

I think it is better to call a police station and get some feedback.

what about the other lady (witness), did you get her details?

I drive, ride and cycle, in every group there are few bad apples.

Last edited: