NSW Harassment and Defamation - Seek Charges and Compensation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
6 December 2016
I had someone make & distributed posters of me with my photo, full name, phone number & address with false & degrading remarks on them & put them up around where I lived. She sent emails to my place of work of similar nature, which resulted in my employment being terminated & she set up a fake, very degrading Facebook profile which I know friends & possibly family saw.

She hacked into my boyfriend's email account & sent awful emails to his place of work & past employers signing them in my name. She also got into his Facebook account & changed the password so he was locked out & made horrible remarks about me. I was lucky to have a good friend warn me about it all as I didn't go on Facebook very often.

Due to my employment being terminated, I had to resort to selling items of mine on Gumtree to pay rent & eat & she somehow found me on there & started sending me degrading messages there. In the past 2 months, I have received over 200 calls from a private number that hangs up every time I answer. I have kept a record of everything.

This has had me extremely stressed & is effecting me on a daily basis. Can you pls help me? What are my rights are? Can they be charged with harassment & if I can claim any compensation for defamation from their actions?

Thank you

Reactions: Timnuts

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You have a chance of defamation against this person.

You may also have a case for unfair dismissal if you are still within the 21 day window from date of dismissal.

Report the matter to police. There is at least three crimes being committed against you (Stalking, using a carriage service to menace, harass or cause offence, and hacking)

Recommend you see a lawyer to discuss defamation proceedings and attempt to get some money in compensation and an apology.

Reactions: Wobby77 and Timnuts

Gorodetsky

21 February 2016
Hi end of my teather,

This is stalking.

Go to the police. (Have you already tried the police?) I'm guessing you have, but they brushed you off? What did they say?

If so, get a friend to go with you and go back.

This person is probably mentally ill. Tell the cops you believe they are mentally ill and you are afraid they will try to physically harm you next.

Good luck

Regards

6 December 2016
As every little thing happened I reported it to the police. I was made to feel like I was being petty. This all started 11 months ago, there was a short break of it all for a while and then the calls started.

So about 3 weeks ago, I went back to them with a detailed list of all the calls & at first they said there was nothing they could do but then decided to ask someone else & apparently due to the sheer number of them they said they would try to trace them to find out who is behind it all.

This process takes time I've been told but the last 24 hours I've received over 50 hang up calls & I feel like I'm about to go insane.

Thank you for all the help. Can anyone recommend a lawyer at all?

Gorodetsky

21 February 2016
Hi EMYT,

Have you escalated to the officer in charge of the station? If not try again and this time:

Ask for the officer in charge of the station
Take a friend
Tell them you think this person is mentally ill
Tell them you think this person is going to physically harm you next
Ask them to explain what they have done so far and what they are going to do next.

The cops will say go away and get an AVO by yourself...this is a brush off. You are reporting a crime, they have an obligation to act on it.

If you get an AVO, the cops probably won't enforce it. Not trying to upset you, just so you know. If they say you need to get an AVO so they can act, tell them you are reporting a crime and they can act on that.

Good luck.

Regards

6 December 2016
Hi EMYT,

Have you escalated to the officer in charge of the station? If not try again and this time:

Ask for the officer in charge of the station
Take a friend
Tell them you think this person is mentally ill
Tell them you think this person is going to physically harm you next
Ask them to explain what they have done so far and what they are going to do next.

The cops will say go away and get an AVO by yourself...this is a brush off. You are reporting a crime, they have an obligation to act on it.

If you get an AVO, the cops probably won't enforce it. Not trying to upset you, just so you know. If they say you need to get an AVO so they can act, tell them you are reporting a crime and they can act on that.

Good luck.

Regards

I don't think anything can upset me much more than I've been in the past, but thank you for the help. I will do that today.

Timnuts

7 April 2016
You have a chance of defamation against this person.

You may also have a case for unfair dismissal if you are still within the 21 day window from date of dismissal.

Report the matter to police. There is at least three crimes being committed against you (Stalking, using a carriage service to menace, harass or cause offence, and hacking)

Recommend you see a lawyer to discuss defamation proceedings and attempt to get some money in compensation and an apology.
I like this