WA Facebook user breach of privacy? Defamation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

barking_mad

6 November 2017
Someone known to me openly shared my full name and suburb making a false accusation about my conduct. When I asked (repeatedly) for them to take it down, they would not, even though I advised them that myself and my children could be in danger as we have taken great steps to prevent my ex husband from finding us (yes, a restraining order was involved). The post of shared far and wide across Australia.

This person has also contacted my family members and friends as well as emailing me constantly trying to get information - information that I am not prepared to share.

What can I do? Is this defamation? Are there some privacy laws that she is breaching. Facebook is no help and obviously they can't help with anything happening outside of Facebook.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
making a false accusation about my conduct

This can be defamation if it affects your reputation. A lawyer would need to read the post to check.

This person has also contacted my family members and friends as well as emailing me constantly trying to get information

This may be stalking. And a breach of the restraining order.

Might be time to have a lawyer prepare a letter and send it to the other party.