QLD How to Stop Cyber Bullying and Defamation Under Australian Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tristan

25 March 2016
Hello

I live in Las Vegas, Nevada and I am being harassed by a cyber bully who has two websites that are dedicated to bullying me and others by tarnishing our reputations. This bully has falsely accused me of a number of serious criminal activity that could cause a person to get life in prison.

This person is a resident of Las Vegas, but I am having a difficult time trying to track her as she has nothing in her name and she claims to be homeless. These websites uses my pictures without my approval as well and she copied and pasted an entire blog of mine without my approval.

This person is using a website hosting company in Australia to purposely evade having her sites removed under US laws.

I see that Australia has very strict laws when it comes to defamation, cyber bullying, etc. What can I do to get these websites removed under Australian law without a court order?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Without a court order, there's nothing stopping you from just writing to them to ask.
However, although this might work, you should probably not expect it to succeed.

I assume you have who-is'ed the host for the website's owner and tech contact details?