FVRO Final Hearing Prep. Self represented applicant. Any tips on how to open and close fast?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

shimmer80

20 March 2020
Hi All,
I have an interim FVRO on my partners ex wife and she has objected to it which was expected. The final hearing is next month and I have no idea how to present my case or where to start. It has been almost 4 years of absolute hell and although I have the FVRO, she has still been abusing me. Ok.... so it's not the violent kind of abuse but I'd almost prefer that as bruises heal much faster than the mental and emotional pain this woman is causing me. What's worse is that my partner and I are trying to blend families and she is poisoning my step children who come to our place with a head full of lies and confusion and now my 7 year old daughter is asking questions about why they are always saying nasty things.
My ex husband is not thrilled about being involved but has said he will be a witness as he has seen the mental tortue (far too long to explain) and my partner is going to be a witness but I don't have money for a lawyer and I don't know where to start. I've read that my case should open with the most recent issues/events so I guess that's a hint but there is so much that my head can't logically break it down. I suffer with PTSD and had an abusive marriage but I get help to cope though I'm worried I will freeze on the day and make no sense of the whole nightmare.
Any tips?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Ok, so who is the applicant on the FVRO? IT will either be the police on your behalf.
OR
If they refused then you would have made an application to the local court - So you're the applicant.

The advice changes based on which of these options you choose.

shimmer80

20 March 2020
Yes, I am the applicant. The Magistrate granted me an interim FVRO in September 19 but it only just scraped through. My partners ex wife (the Respondent) is clever with how she attacks me (that sounds so wrong) but effectively she only insults me through him and their kids (my 11 year step children)
Its a hideous situation and so pathetic really as I should be mature enough to ignore it but it affects our whole household. So the conditions were made liberally and to stop any communication directly or via a 3rd party. She's still labelling and name calling (whore, slut, crazy etc) to her kids and even her husband was calling me all sorts to my partner over the phone a few weeks ago but the police said she hasn't breached as she didn't instruct them to tell me what had been said.
So the FVRO was based on the grounds that she threatened (Via a 3rd party being my partner and her ex husband) that she would slap another FVRO on my ass if I contacted her again but I didn't contact her and she's threatened a FVRO twice and made jokes about the one she put on me in 2017 (which was based on lies) but not understanding what they were, I emailed her about a birthday party and that was a breach so I ended up with a heavy solicitor bill and a spent record (Ive never been in trouble with the law before) it was hugely stressful and to threaten it on me again was not ok and the magistrate agreed.
So do I base my opening and trial on the most recent events (more has happened though indirectly again) or do I drag up when it first began as I can play audio and have phone recordings of her calling me a whore etc along with the pictures she got off my facebook account and other awful events..
Hopoefully that makes sense.....
I

shimmer80

20 March 2020
Hi again,
So I came back to see if anyone had posted suggestions for my previous enquiry though this time I'm wondering about what questions to ask at a Final Order Hearing (was today via audiolink as a result of Covid-19) and the adjournment was granted for October.
Hoping to get a little more feedback this time. The Magistrate mentioned the case as being a complex one?........ The order is pretty basic and made specifically to prohibit insults, threats, cyber stalking so I also wonder what the Respondent has filed to support her objection.
Any ideas?

sammy01

27 September 2015
adjourned until October? Look that is most of the year sorted. I reckon you should just sit and wait a while. Hopefully she will pull her head in for a while and realise this is serious. I reckon if she breaches then make sure you report it...

If the respondent had filed paperwork, you would be notified by the court.

Reactions: Panda

Panda

13 March 2020
we are in the same situation, my question is if the evil ex stalker puts us on a dvo but has screen shot Facebook photos and comments etc on my personal Facebook posts.. isn’t that proof alone that she is the stalker. It’s been 2 yrs and she is a nutcase, we even moved state but she tracked us down by Telstra 24/7 app inputting my partners details

Atticus

6 February 2019
my question is if the evil ex stalker puts us on a dvo but has screen shot Facebook photos and comments etc on my personal Facebook posts.. isn’t that proof alone that she is the stalker.
Need more info to answer...... BUT.. You will need to start your own thread & ask the question. It's confusing to have two threads going in the one

Reactions: Panda