WA FVRO and United States visa

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jimbo!

2 February 2019
My ex is considering withdrawing the FVRO and going with an undertaking. The police mentioned to me that a VRO, whilst not being a criminal conviction, may affect me getting a visa for the USA. For sports reasons, I need to go to the USA. This was mentioned to my ex who is seeking more information regarding this. I can't find anything relating to this on the internet? Basically I need to find something so she can "save face" i.e people perceive her as empathetic and reasonable for withdrawing the VRO. But she needs a reason, without one, it looks like she has simply given in.

Last edited:

sammy01

27 September 2015
I doubt an avo would stop you travelling to any country. There is a bit of an urban myth about the USA and travel restrictions. a DUI offence is a criminal conviction and I'm sure that doesn't prevent entry to the USA.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
While it seems unlikely you be denied entry, I have no knowledge one way or the other, and I'd be calling the US embassy to be sure.

My supposition is purely based on the lack of posts online, not just here, about people being denied entry for family violence orders.