NSW Ex Creating Non-existent Issues During Visit - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Twooke, I really must commend you for your attitude and course of action so far. Some parents find it very hard to let the other get their way, even if it means the child is exposed to a fight, and the consequence of that is that both end up looking bad in the eyes of the Court. Taking the high road is how you show you are prioritising the child's best interests, and that is exactly what you're doing, even in the most impossible of circumstances.

Prepare yourself for the likelihood that you may not receive a response at all to your email. Lawyers charge about $30 per hundred words they have to read in correspondence from an opposing party, and they charge even more to write a response, but you've brought the issue to their attention and if her lawyer is a 'bigwig', then it's very likely he's going to give her a firm talking to so as not to jeopardise her own case.

Maybe we are dirty players, but my husband and I wrote 1200-word emails to the other parent's solicitor about nearly major issue that came up because we knew it was costing her money, and very few things motivate as well as expense.

For 'record-keeping purposes and to keep the pressure on to bring the other party to sensibility', you should consider writing another short email today advising that the mother again contravened the interim orders yesterday by taking the child an hour into the two-hour Court-ordered care time without your agreement, and that if she continues with this pattern, then she should consider herself on notice that in addition to contravention proceedings, you'll also be seeking an order for costs to recoup the expense to you of paying for two hours each week and having that time interrupted after one hour.

Reactions: LisaK and Twooke

sammy01

27 September 2015
Add make up time at her expense into the response... Add make up time at her expense into the response.... And write things twice, and write things twice. The more words, the more words, the more expense for her solicitor to.... Oh I am funny.... Oh I am funny

Reactions: LisaK and Twooke

Twooke

11 October 2017
That's a great idea. It might be good to send an email after every time she fails to let my son and I spend the full 2 hours together!

Thanks I appreciate that allforher! A smart man once told me that the only actions I can control are my own, and that includes my reactions to other people actions! I just wanna be able to look at my son one day and be proud of everything I did during this ordeal!

Ha, cheers Sammy, I thought someone must have spiked my water with vodka when I started seeing double haha!!!

AllForHer

23 July 2014
@Twooke Has there been any improvement in your matter, mate?

Twooke

11 October 2017
Hi allforher!

Yeah, I think things have started to cool down... for the time being. I'm thinking of it as the calm before the storm!

The last 2 times I saw my boy we've had the full 2 hours. It was weird though as we weren't given any indication that she was going to allow us to have the full amount of time! She just didn't turn up! The whole second hour of both visits was spent thinking she would turn up at any time so I was never really relaxed those times!

This happened straight after they got my application in a case, contravention application and affidavit. So that may have had an impact!

Still haven't received their paperwork for it yet though! I have court next week so maybe I'll be getting it the night before or maybe they'll try to not have it in and try to keep it as a directions hearing? I'm not sure!

The supervision centre have mentioned to me that she has complained that she is not comfortable with me kissing him 'due to the fact there is sexual abuse allegations against me' they have told me not to worry, and that she was informed that it wasn't in the orders that I am not to kiss him, there isn't anything I have done while in the centre for them to cause worry and they will stop things if they feel things are inappropriate! That has affected things somewhat as I am now second guessing even giving him a kiss when I'm with him!

AllForHer

23 July 2014
That's really great to hear that you're getting the full two hours now, it sounds like your application in a case and contravention application has indeed had an impact (or maybe her lawyer has told her what an idiot she is being by interfering with two hours of time!).

I must say, one of the benefits of a contact centre is that it's hard to keep making nonsense allegations when there are objective third parties supervising all time spent together. I understand your apprehension, of course - you don't want things to get worse - but I sincerely hope you don't let it get in the way of your relationship with your son. Mum is probably on the receiving end of a very painful reality check, so sounds a bit like she's grasping at straws.

Let us know how your court hearing goes next week.