VIC Defective Secondhand Car Purchased from Honda Dealer - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

LeilaMaly

5 September 2017
My partner and I have purchased a second hand Honda Civic 2008 from Northway Honda dealer with 104000km and the cost was $9991 which it's been paid off.

It was due to a service and we took the car to Yarra Honda for the service, to find out that there were some issues with: power steering leakage, engine mount and there was no pollen filter. We called Northway Honda and they said because those were wear and tear defects and they wouldn't cover the costs. Fixing those problems came to a total of $1872 (18% of the car value within 2 months of purchase).

Northway Honda has not given us a defect notice nor mentioned about it at any time. If we knew about the massive extra cost, we would not have purchased it.

What can be done?

Thanks in advance.

Avinash L

12 September 2017
Hi Leila,

A car dealer is required to provide a statutory warranty if the car is less than 10 years old (you purchased a 2008 Honda Civic) and has travelled less than 160,000 kilometres (Your car has travelled more 104000 kilometres). Furthermore, the statutory warranty is valid for either three months from date of purchase or 5000 kilometres after purchase, whichever occurs first. As part of the warranty, the dealer is required to repair any defects that occur during the statutory warranty period subject to some exceptions that are listed on Consumer Affairs Victoria website.

After the expiration of the statutory warranty, a consumer still has the protections provided by the Australian Consumer Law. Furthermore, it is possible for ask for a refund under the ACL, if the vehicle has a major defect.

Disclaimer: The post is not intended to be, and should not be used as a substitute for legal advice in any specific situation or in relation to any legal issue either expressly or impliedly stated within the post. The information published is of general nature only. Accordingly, no person should rely on any of the contents of any of the posts. I accept no responsibility to any person who acts or relies in any way on any of the material or the posts.

Last edited by a moderator: