VIC Falty Secondhand Car from dealer

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jarrod118

8 October 2019
So my mother has been grinding her life away to purchase a car so she can take my father to travel around Australia, before his terminal illness worsens.
And not even 2 days after the purchase she saw warning signals going off. She'd just taken the car in for a service today and found out that there is a major fault in the transmission, and could result in a very costly fix with money she doesn't have. My question is what can she do about the situation? Does anyone have any legal advice they could share here? Anything will help and anything is well appreciated. This just tears at my heart that they would pull something like this, especially to a woman who has worked so hard so she can share some happiness to her dying husband.

457Visafraud

16 April 2017
Years a go I bought a 2002 car from a dealer, I questioned about warranty to discover that in Victoria dealers can refuse warranty when the car is older than xx (I forgot how many years).
I suggest you read the contract.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
The members here will need a lot more information than that.

1. When did she buy the car?
2. When was the car built? (month and year)
3. Did it come with any warranty that you know of? If so, how long? (months/years/kms)
4. How long before she noticed the "warning signs"?
5. What were the warning signs? (car not changing gear properly; light on dash; etc)
6. How long after noticing the problem did she take it to be looked at?
7. If not straight away, did she keep driving the car in the meantime?
8. Did she take it to the dealer or someone else?
9. If she took it to someone else, has she spoken to the dealer yet and if so, what did they say?

I understand that both you and your mother would be upset, but it's best to put all the emotional stuff aside when looking at the legal side of things. It sounds harsh, but it's not relevant.