NSW Commonwealth Bank ATM Issue - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

un_known

29 April 2016
Hello,

On Monday, I deposit cash into a Commonwealth Bank ATM, it was about $1700. The ATM went out of service and my money hasn't been returned or has been deposited to my account.

I called the helpline who advised me to come back the following day to the branch. I do not live in this area, it was just convenient at the moment to deposit the money in this ATM.

Anyway, the next morning and $25 in uber later, I went in the branch at the opening and explained my situation. The lady was condescending and told me that it was a machine and that it is not perfect that they would take care of it within 21 days. She would call me and I would have to come back to the branch, despite the fact that I do not live here.

I complained to a manager about the customer service because it was not normal to be treated like it was no big deal that almost $2000 disappeared and I had to wait 21 days to get it back.

The manager gave me another story that within 3 days it will be fixed. That manager gave me her card and told me my Thursday it would be fixed. On Thursday, she called me and said that the report had not come yet but by the end of the next day morning it will be fixed.

We are Friday, I called the helpline again, it still not fixed. They say the report is still not there.

It cost me close to $50 in Uber to go there and come back home. Meanwhile what about my rent and expenses? If I put money on my bank account it is because I need it.

Is there any legal service that I should seek regarding this matter? I don't feel I am being treated the right way.

Serge Gorval

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
2 November 2015
Sydney
lawtap.com
Yes, you have recourse. What do you want? Immediate action on returning the money and reasonable expenses paid?