QLD Commonwealth Bank Sold Debt to Debt Collectors?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Shricket

12 May 2016
So I received a letter from Commonwealth Bank about some arrears and that if they weren't fixed they would take legal action, citing a number to call. I called, made arrangements and all was good.

My partner lost his job unexpectedly last week and as such our pay was substantially smaller than budgeted, so I wanted to make some amendments to the arrangements I had made. But going into Commonwealth Bank, I was advised that the debts had all been sold to a debt collections agency and I no longer could converse with the bank regarding anything. When pressed about which company has bought, the debt the bank teller could tell me.

Now, I was thinking can I contact the guy I'd made arrangements with (who never said where he was from or that he wasn't with the bank) and ask for documentation on what the debt total is? And also, knowing they bought the debt can I refuse to pay any more than what they paid for it?

S

Sophea

Hi Shricket,

Yes this is a common practice, whereby a debt business buys debts for less than their value and then makes money by recovering them.

can I contact the guy I'd made arrangements with (who never said where he was from or that he wasn't with the bank) and ask for documentation on what the debt total is?

You can certainly ask for any information held by the new company about the debt including the total that is due. As you already appear to understand, you cannot negotiate with the bank now. The debt belongs to the new company, it has been assigned all of the bank's legal rights under the agreement you had with the bank.

You can negotiate a payment plan with the new company if they wish to agree to it, however, you have no 'right' to a payment plan. If they agree to a payment plan they must honour it as long as you honour your end of the bargain. If you cannot then they can request the full balance of the loan due. You can plead hardship, but there is no legal requirement for them to show you leniency on this basis.

knowing they bought the debt can I refuse to pay any more than what they paid for it?

No. They have purchased from the bank a full assignment of the debt. Therefore, they have all the rights of the bank to pursue the full amount of the loan. If people had a right only the pay what they paid for the loan how do you think they would make money? How is it fair that you should pay less than what you agreed to pay back to the bank?

Marg4578

8 June 2016
Hi there, I have a question about Notice of Assignment. Is that enough to prove that the debt collector now owns the debt? Shouldn't there be a deed of assignment?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
@Marg4578, please keep all your related questions in one thread.

Marg4578

8 June 2016
OK. I will copy this question in my original post. Also this is the wrong state. Sorry, I am new at this.

Mikoz22

18 December 2017
We are in the same situation as this thread. The bank claim they tried to contact us about the remaining debt from the sale of a property. We have no record of any contacts - where do we stand legally? Is the bank obligated to tell you what's going on?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Is it possible that you moved and didn't update your contact details with the bank? I would almost guarantee there's an obligation in your loan documents requiring you to do so.

If you owe the debt, make arrangements to pay it. If you don't, contact them and tell them why.

DMQC

29 June 2016
Also, the bank only needs to make you aware of the debt, which you were. The bank does not, usually, need to "keep you in the loop" re what is happening with the debt if you choose not to contact them. It seems you were aware of the debt, so not quite sure that "not knowing" would be an excuse.