QLD Child nearly dies on visitation - thoughts?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

AllEars

22 September 2019
Yes they are interim orders that time be spent as agreed. He is the party that moved away after I made an application to court. I am represented but this is still a really lonely process as the buck stops with me. I just wanted opinions on this scenario on it's own, in isolation of 'other incidents' that ended in an ambulance emergency treatment and another with surgery. The whole situation makes me feel sick. On this occaision there was some kind of report made to Child Safety but it was not investigated as the children aren't in the care of the father. ( I can't remember the wording) but the ICL got it. I like seeing the point of view of others though because although I've seen many blunt and what some have interpreted as insulting opinions to their questions at the time I think it's good practice for the critical thinking that a judge might apply. Each time that something has happened, in isolation of anything else I've had the same thought process that the good people posting their thoughts have and decided that it wasn't enough to interefere with the kids spending time with dad. At what point is enough enough? I was told by ICU while our boy was still on life support that there was no way to tell if he'd suffered brain damage, we'd have to wait and see, his oxygen was so low when he arrived at hospital and they had know way of knowing if he'd been like that all night or longer. Luckily, even though there was some concern when he woke up he's gone on to return to normal.

Will the court look at the incidents with a compoiunding view or at each incident in isolation of the other?

AllEars

22 September 2019
The other children told me that they were very worried about their brother as he was 'so, so sick, mummy, much sicker than everyone else' in the days leading up to admission. They said that it was ok because 'daddy took him to the doctor' (midweek) but he never actually did.

Tremaine

5 February 2019
Kids get sick. Whether it’s once or a hundred times, it doesn’t matter, there’s no magic number for events of sickness before the kids aren’t allowed to see their parents anymore.

What’s important is that the parents aren’t deliberately causing the child harm, which is abuse, and that they’re not failing to seek medical attention, which is neglect.

It sounds like dad has sought medical attention on each of those occasions, and it doesn’t sound like you believe dad was deliberately causing the child harm.

Even collectively, I don’t think the court would decide that a no contact order was necessary, which is essentially what you’d be forcing if you withheld.

Reactions: Atticus