VIC Caught shoplifting at Coles

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

S.camp4565

18 May 2020
Hi Everyone,

This morning i was stupidly caught shoplifting at my regular coles.

I had been to woolworth prior to the coles a had taken a few things there first. I have no idea why i had done this.. it was stupid i know.

Two men in regular clothes stopped me after purchasing a few items and asked me to take everything out of my bags.

I was in so much shock i couldnt speak, they told me to tell the truth and i just gave everything over to them even items i had paid for.

Another security gaurd was present and was very hostile toward me(understandably) and the other two men told me to just leave immidiently after scanning my ID.

Im was so embarrassed and horrified at myself at this point i just wanted to leave.

No police were called nor was i asked to go into an office for review.
Are the security still able to contact the police to visit my home and arrest me? Or fine me? And will my ID now go on file to all stores?

Any assistance or guidence is much appriciated!

Last edited:

S.camp4565

18 May 2020
Hi,

No not yet. It has only been 3 days or so.
Waiting very anxiously for a call / visit:(

S.camp4565

18 May 2020
Hey there,

No not yet. It's been 2 weeks but still very anxious.

Have you had a similar situation?

User469

21 May 2020
yeah similar for $25, however I was taken in the back to provide ID, address and sign the form! I left and paid for the items still, they said I’d receive a letter but haven’t yet! This was two weeks ago! I’m very anxious and having sleepless nights! The guy did say they weren’t going to call the police on my way to the back office but I’m not sure what happens with the form I’ve signed (and didn’t even read)

S.camp4565

18 May 2020
Hey all,

It been almost a month and I haven't heard anything.
Although still quite anxious.

Haven't received a call or visit yet.

Reactions: unique