VIC Caught shoplifting at coles

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

fool

4 May 2023
I have been caught shoplifting at Coles. I can't believe I did it, I had paid for some item but had to get a gift for someone & could not afford to. It was stupid and I've never done it before.
It was maybe 70 dollars worth but not completely sure. The undercover officer stopped me & I completely panicked I was going to keep walking. He asked for the items so i gave him the stuff and was going to leave. And he said we can follow you to your car and call the cops. They wanted my ID I didn't have it but showed them a bill on my phone with my address and then my Facebook which he took a photo of. I was shaking from head to toe. I said will the police be coming to my house and he said we are going to ban you from coles. He then said be more careful next time. And let me go. I can't believe it's happend. I'm scared the police will come to my house and I will be charged is this possible?
I am also 32 so I should know better as they would see. I don't have a criminal record have never been caught before. Please if someone could let me know if they will pursue me. I can't sleep & feel sick constantly. Learnt my lesson I will never do this again.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Please if someone could let me know if they will pursue me.
No-one other than the Coles employee can answer this question.

Learnt my lesson I will never do this again.
Good

I can't sleep & feel sick constantly.
You'll likely get over it. Think of it as a positive (sign of a genuine person feeling remorse), because a criminal would not feel guilty.