QLD Shoplifting at coles. Asked to return items. Will they take further actions?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Douglas

11 May 2020
Hi All. My query relates to being caught shoplifting at Coles recently, value totalling about $40.00 AUD.

A regular staff member at checkout asked to check my bag just AFTER I paid for a few items using my bank card and loyalty card. I agreed to let her check my bag and she asked me whether I had a receipt for what I had in my bag - I said no and she called over a senior staff member who asked to check my bag and took everything I had out of my bag.

I think both the manager and I were both uncertain as to what to say, there was no accusation, and he simply asked if I wanted to pay for them or return them. I was completely dumbfounded and just said return the items as I just wanted to run and hide.

No Police were called, No statement was signed, No ID was asked for, No security guard was present and I wasn't taken into the 'back room' either - the items were recovered, he did not scan the items to check their total value, and I left the premises as normal.

I think I may have been lucky and dodged a bullet with a wake up call for my stupidity which I am terribly ashamed of, but I am also now paranoid that they may report a police case around this with CCTV footage and identify me via my loyalty card/bank card details. Is that even a remote possibility? I would think if they wanted to do something they would have asked for my details there and then?

Please help! Any answers or resources would be appreciated.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Hi All. My query relates to being caught shoplifting at Coles recently, value totalling about $40.00 AUD.

A regular staff member at checkout asked to check my bag just AFTER I paid for a few items using my bank card and loyalty card. I agreed to let her check my bag and she asked me whether I had a receipt for what I had in my bag - I said no and she called over a senior staff member who asked to check my bag and took everything I had out of my bag.

I think both the manager and I were both uncertain as to what to say, there was no accusation, and he simply asked if I wanted to pay for them or return them. I was completely dumbfounded and just said return the items as I just wanted to run and hide.

No Police were called, No statement was signed, No ID was asked for, No security guard was present and I wasn't taken into the 'back room' either - the items were recovered, he did not scan the items to check their total value, and I left the premises as normal.

I think I may have been lucky and dodged a bullet with a wake up call for my stupidity which I am terribly ashamed of, but I am also now paranoid that they may report a police case around this with CCTV footage and identify me via my loyalty card/bank card details. Is that even a remote possibility? I would think if they wanted to do something they would have asked for my details there and then?

Please help! Any answers or resources would be appreciated.

As you said you dodged a bullet this time, and it is a good wake up call for you. I hope you learned your lesson. If they did not inform you that they will call the police, then they will not do it. The items you took is not significant and they got their items back, so it is not worth spending additional cost on this, but not for the next time, if you are caught! (and when you are caught).

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I think I may have been lucky and dodged a bullet with a wake up call for my stupidity...
Yes.
... but I am also now paranoid that they may report a police case around this
Nothing happened.
Nothing else will happen.

Breathe.
It's over.

Douglas

11 May 2020
Thanks for caring, I appreciate your input and time in reviewing my inappropriate behaviour and mistake. This has prompted me to seek help and I'm seeing a psychologist this arvo. Have a safe and lovely weekend to you both.

S.camp4565

18 May 2020
Hi,

I was in a similar situation today (very stupid and have learned my lesson).
No police were called or i wasnt taken to tje back room.

I was pulled up by two men in plain clothes and they told me to leave immidiently after scanning my ID and after i handed the items over.

They didnt mention the police would be in contact, can the police still show up at my house or fine me?

Last edited:

Oneman

7 September 2017
I think you may have been lucky enough to dodge the bullet too. Police prioritise whether to attend to very minor offences when resources are stretched. Not that stealing is minor because today it's a grocery shop and tomorrow it could be a bank. At the moment Police are probably stretched chasing people who have been sneezing on each other, but, it's all about man management (sorry resource management) and if they get too many calls from the local supermarkets about 'tea leaves' (thieves) then they'll simply throw more Police back to chasing them and pay out more overtime to track down the sneezers. After all, it's all important and you can't have society going barking mad simply because of a bug in the air. Gee, that sounds like a script from a movie.
You say you've learnt your lesson. Great! Take a bit of advice from an old fella who's done his math on crime. In the long run it really doesn't pay. Just ask anyone who has spent some time as a guest of Her Majesty The Queen.
All wit aside though, if the two plain clothes guys were store security, they may still make a complaint to the Police, who might take their good time to knock on your door. Probably not, but maybe. So, maybe go to a supermarket and BUY some anti-perspirant because you might need it over the next couple of weeks. Really not worth it, is it?

S.camp4565

18 May 2020
Hi Oneman,

Thanks for your response and do appriciate a bit of wit!

I have definetly learnt my lesson and shant be returning to that coles.

The two mysterious men in plain clothes had told me it was a warning and to leave immidiently, i think, i dont really remember.

Anyway thanks again.

Did anything eventuate from your senario?

AnnaPa90

20 December 2023
Hi Douglas,

Nothing will happen.

Even if they were planning to take it further, they cannot prove you were the person purchasing the goods as you may have used someone else’s loyalty card/debit card.

Usually if the stolen goods are under $50 police cannot be called (as it is not worth their time to follow up on).