8 months pregnant, caught stealing Coles

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
16 February 2024
Hi there. Let me preface this by saying I'm absolutely embarrassed, feel guilty and am scared shitless. I was caught shoplifting from Coles today by plain clothes security. As one of the items was an electric toothbrush, I think it was likely >$100 in value. I admitted to my mistake when I was caught and explained I wasn't thinking properly due to my pregnancy. They took my ID and made me fill out 2 forms, including a form saying I wouldn't step into a Coles store at all over the next 12 months. They said that I could wait for police to attend or head home. Due to the stress on the baby, I said I would like to head home and they took my ID details.

Does anyone know what happens next? Is it likely Coles will report me to the police? Will the police come to my house or call me?

I'm scared shitless and obviously have learnt my lesson. I'm trying to calm my anxiety as I know this can't be good for the baby.