QLD Caught Shoplifting at Coles - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Surius1

27 March 2022
Hi, I’m similar situation. Less then $20 of items by accident but paid for them and ID taken.
They told me No further action. It I wanted to find out if that was legit for you

Surius1

27 March 2022
I have a good friend who does the same job in Western Australia. Apparently the Company he works for is nationwide so the security staff who spoke with you may very well work for the same company. I asked him what the procedure was, he said the ID is simply for an 'internal' Coles report and that if Police were going to be contacted you would have been asked to wait with them at the time. Police are never contacted after the incident, at least in Western Australia. Indeed it seems, as Tim has already said, the security staff exceeded their authority by demanding identification.
I hope so much this information is accurate. I got caught today similar situation but less then $20 items

Mjls

13 May 2022
I was very stupidly caught shoplifting today at a Coles. I had left the store and two plain clothed men stopped me on the escalator. They identified themselves as Coles security. They told me I wouldn’t be in any trouble, they just wanted their goods back. We stopped at the landing and they took the items from my trolly and looked through all my other bags.

They then asked for my name. I said “I really don’t want to get in any trouble” and they said if I didn’t comply, they could call the police. Then they asked for my ID, I hesitated and they said, alternatively they could get my ID from CCTV of my car and have police at my house before I got home. I reluctantly gave them my ID and they took a photo of both sides and asked if I was still at the address listed, I said yes.

They then let me go but now I’m absolutely terrified that I’m going to get a knock at my door and possibly arrested? Does anyone know why they took my ID and what I should expect now? I have young children and I’m so embarrassed to tell my family.
Hi Tracy. Is there any update with you regarding in what happened? Thank you 🙏🏻

Exhausted&terrified

17 May 2023
I was very stupidly caught shoplifting today at a Coles. I had left the store and two plain clothed men stopped me on the escalator. They identified themselves as Coles security. They told me I wouldn’t be in any trouble, they just wanted their goods back. We stopped at the landing and they took the items from my trolly and looked through all my other bags.

They then asked for my name. I said “I really don’t want to get in any trouble” and they said if I didn’t comply, they could call the police. Then they asked for my ID, I hesitated and they said, alternatively they could get my ID from CCTV of my car and have police at my house before I got home. I reluctantly gave them my ID and they took a photo of both sides and asked if I was still at the address listed, I said yes.

They then let me go but now I’m absolutely terrified that I’m going to get a knock at my door and possibly arrested? Does anyone know why they took my ID and what I should expect now? I have young children and I’m so embarrassed to tell my family.
Hi there, did anything happen? Did the police come to your house?

angrysheep2023

10 June 2023
Hi Tracy,

Thanks for sharing this with me. I'm in the same situation as you or even was, they even asked me hold the trespass notice statement and taken the photo, not only ID.