NSW Business Structure for Professional Services - Sole Trader, Partnership or Corporation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

WarrenTo

23 April 2019
Which one is the best business structure for professional services firms, sole trader, partnership or corporation? The traditional way is a partnership, but is it no longer viable due to unlimited liability and no separation of legal entity? What are the pros and cons of these 3 types of business structure and which one would you recommend?

Thank you.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
For business structuring advice you’re going to want to see a solicitor and an accountant (for effective tax structuring), who will take into account your specific situation.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
What kind of professional services?
There are many models already in existence that serve certain fields well,
but are less suited to others.
For example, how you set up a medical practice might be
different to how you set up a firm of solicitors, or a firm of architects.

WarrenTo

23 April 2019
I mean professional services firms in general like accountants, lawyers and medical practitioners. Thanks.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I mean professional services firms in general like accountants, lawyers and medical practitioners. Thanks.

As Tim W noted, the ideal set up differs for different profession fields.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Then I’d suggest a Pty Ltd company, with a trustee shareholder arrangement (preferably also corporate). You may also want a service company holding firm assets under a lease/licence arrangement.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
What if I'm setting up an accounting firm?
If you're an accountant, then you already know
that you need proper case-specific professional advice here.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
And best getting the right advice at the start because changing later can be hard if the 'partners' do not agree on a new structure.

I note the accounting/holding costs of a complex structure are lower for accountants :)

I like Rob's suggestion.

WarrenTo

23 April 2019
it seems that professionals are abandoning partnership and opt for other structure, what are the reasons behind it?