VIC Bank Opened Home Loan in Error - Demand a Formal Letter?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kathiiy

26 September 2018
Hello,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this, but I'm a little confused.

Three weeks ago, I checked my internet banking to find the bank had loaded a home loan onto, in excess of $400,000. This was a bit shocking to me as I no longer own a house.

I called them up and they were surprised I didn't know anything about it as it had been drawn down yesterday and was joint with my ex-husband. Turns out he has just bought a house with his new partner and instead of loading her name, they put mine instead.

It disappeared off my internet banking a few days later, but I kind of want something formal from them saying how it happened and that it won't show on any of my records, etc, etc, rather than just the one line email I got saying it was 'all fixed now'. It felt like a really big deal to me, and I really didn't need to know that much information about my ex's new life.

What do I do now? Just forget about it and move on and hope it never comes up again? Or can I demand a more formal letter stating the debt doesn't have, and never did have anything to do with me?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I think you're well within your rights to request something more formal than a 'one line' email from the bank.

I would also suggest obtaining a free copy of your credit files to ensure that an enquiry has not been made against your name. Go to Plans & Pricing and Check your credit | Dun & Bradstreet (Australia)
You can get one free credit report in each 12 months. Do both, as they are separate credit reporting bodies.

kevin586

14 January 2019
As a matter of urgency; I would write a hard copy letter to the bank and send it by registered post so you can prove they received it, saying that I deny any and all liability for this loan and that i will seek compensation for any financial loss I may incur.