VIC Bank Opened Home Loan in Error - Demand a Formal Letter?

Discussion in 'Debt and Bankruptcy Law Forum' started by Kathiiy, 26 September 2018.

1. Kathiiy

Kathiiy Member

Hello,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this, but I'm a little confused.

Three weeks ago, I checked my internet banking to find the bank had loaded a home loan onto, in excess of $400,000. This was a bit shocking to me as I no longer own a house.

I called them up and they were surprised I didn't know anything about it as it had been drawn down yesterday and was joint with my ex-husband. Turns out he has just bought a house with his new partner and instead of loading her name, they put mine instead.

It disappeared off my internet banking a few days later, but I kind of want something formal from them saying how it happened and that it won't show on any of my records, etc, etc, rather than just the one line email I got saying it was 'all fixed now'. It felt like a really big deal to me, and I really didn't need to know that much information about my ex's new life.

What do I do now? Just forget about it and move on and hope it never comes up again? Or can I demand a more formal letter stating the debt doesn't have, and never did have anything to do with me?

2. Rob Legat - SBPL

LawTap Verified

I think you're well within your rights to request something more formal than a 'one line' email from the bank.

I would also suggest obtaining a free copy of your credit files to ensure that an enquiry has not been made against your name. Go to Plans & Pricing and Check your credit | Dun & Bradstreet (Australia)
    You can get one free credit report in each 12 months. Do both, as they are separate credit reporting bodies.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...