Am I still Eligible to Apply for 189 Visa Australia?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

think_link

20 February 2015
Hello.
This is my profile

Bach of Engineering (2006)
I.T. employment - 2006 -2008 (2 years)

Masters degree in Australia - 1.5 years (2009 -10)
Non-I.T. work experience - approx 2 years (2011-12)

Unemployed from 2013 until now

Recently got Australian Computer Society's positive skills assessment for the first I.T. work experience of 2 years. So, I am eligible to immigrate to AU.

However, my question is, though it is all proper I meet ACS's requirements, as well as the requirements of the Department of Immigration of 2 years of work experience completed in the past 10 years, wouldn't it have a negative effect as my work experience for which I was assessed was completed long before and now? I have been unemployed for sometime. Please let me know if I can go ahead and lodge my 189 visa.

Tracy B

24 December 2014
Australia
Hi think_link,

Migration cases are always considered on a case-by-case basis. The above requirements are a guidance and even if you meet all the requirements, there is no guarantee you will obtain a visa. Your case will be considered on individual merit. I suggest you speak with a Australian Migration Agent or a Migration Lawyer. You should also contact the Australian Immigration Department, however, they may not be able to provide advice about individual cases

Mitchell Kelly

8 February 2015
Hi think_link,

You will need to provide much more detail in order to get a clear answer to your question.

What occupation were you assessed as by ACS?
What date does your ACS skills assessment deem you to be at the skilled level?
Which occupation do you intend to use for your 189 application (as you also appear to be a qualified Engineer)?
What is your age?
Have you completed and English language test?
How are you calculating your 60 (or more) points?

You need to be very careful when calculating points - particularly when it comes to employment experience. Just because an assessing body has considered work experience, this does not automatically mean it can be used for points on a visa application to DIBP. Remember, they are are two separate bodies.

I'm also not sure where you are getting this information from:

"Immi's requirement of 2 years of work experience completed in the past 10 years"

This is not a DIBP requirement. You can count points (in various ways) for employment completed in the last 1, 3, 5 or 8 years.

Though it is not a requirement to show any work experience at all if you do not wish to count points for employment experience on a 189 visa application.

I would advise you to do your homework before proceeding with an application at this point.