- Australia's #1 Legal Community is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

VIC On Working Holiday Visa - Apply for Student Visa?

Discussion in 'Immigration Law Forum' started by loles, 17 October 2014.

Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
  1. loles

loles Member

17 October 2014
    I spent the last 2 years in Australia on a working holiday visa and asked for a tourist visa to continue my trip.
    Unfortunately, my tourist visa has been refused by the Department of Immigration (not compatible with my previous visa). I'm now on a bridging visa which gives me 28 days to leave the country.
    My plan would be then to leave and apply for a student visa that would allow me to get a new diploma and finish travelling at the same time.

Do you think that I have a chance to obtain my student visa offshore after that refusal?

Thank you for your help!
  2. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

16 July 2014

If the tourist visa was declined solely on the ground that it was incompatible with your current visa, then I do not see why you would have a problem with applying for a student visa after your visa finishes. You will need to have an education institution capable of sponsoring you.

You may also wish to look into applying for a tourist visa (again) after the termination of your current visa. Perhaps it was just a condition of your working-holiday visa that you cannot apply for another tourist visa whilst still being on the working-hoilday visa.

I would suggest speaking with Immigration Australia to confirm.